EDITOR'S NOTE: Chad Vaughn is a two-time Olympian, nine-time Nationwide Champion, multi-time worldwide medalist, and an American report holder within the sport of Olympic-style weightlifting. Together with competing, Chad owns CrossFit CenTex and has coached inside the CrossFit group for the final 4 years by means of weightlifting courses and seminars world wide.
A 4-Week Intro to the Rules of Vaughn Weightlifting
Rhythm and timing are important to growing proficient Olympic lifts; nevertheless, faults and errors can overwhelm and delay the specified progress of any aggressive or informal health fanatic.
I consider the preliminary breakdown and emphasis on 4 core ideas can set a basis that may in the end result in the smoothest and most profitable path to optimizing anybody’s snatch, clear, and jerk.
These 4 core ideas are:
- Overhead stability
- Bar path
- Head motion
The corresponding program could appear a bit segmented, remoted, and even gradual in progressing, however I would like you to remember the core ideas I’m attempting to ascertain and make concrete.
For a extra full dialogue of those ideas and of Chad's strategies, learn the total article Sluggish Down: Chad Vaughn's Free 4-Week Weightlifting Program.
Searching for a special week of this system?
- Week 1
- Week 2
- Week 3 – you’re right here
- Week 4
1. Jerk grip strict press with head tilt: 70% x10, 75% x8, 80% x6, 85% x5 – Chin up and eyes discover the ceiling on every rep
2. Again squat: 50% x5, 60% x3, 70% x2, 75% x1, 80% x1, 85% AMRAP
3. Hip clear: load by really feel x2x5-7 units – Emphasis on vertical torso and straight extension by means of the shoulders
4. Clear lift-off: 100-110% (% of full clear) x4x4 units – Partial deadlift (DL) to above the knee utilizing leg drive and buying vertical shins as bar lifts off
1) 2X snatch push press + 2X overhead squat (OHS) with 3-second pause in backside: 5-7 units ending at not more than 90% of snatch – Emphasis is to maintain the joints stacked and bar positioned over the physique’s midline
2) Hip energy snatch + OHS: 65% x5, 70% x3, 75% x3, 80% x3, 85% x3 – Emphasis on vertical torso and straight extension by means of the shoulders
3) Snatch-grip deadlift (SDL) with 3-second pause above knee on descent: 85% x5 90% x5, 95% x5, 100% x5x2 units (proportion is of full snatch 1RM) – Reinforcing the knee place and vertical shins from day 1, #4
1) Push press: 50% x5, 60% x3, 70% x2, 75% x1, 80% x1, 85% AMRAP – Pause in dip for two seconds and pause in head tilt 2 seconds discovering ceiling with eyes
2) Entrance squat: 50% x5, 60% x3, 70% x2, 75% x1, 80% x1, 85% AMRAP
3) Cling snatch above knee with 2 pauses: load by really feel x1x5-7 units, ending at not more than 90% of 1RM snatch – Pause 2 seconds above knee and a couple of second in OHS
4) Snatch lift-off: 100-110% of full snatch 1RM x4x4 units – Partial DL to above the knee utilizing leg drive and buying vertical shins as bar lifts off
1) Energy clear above knee + entrance squat: 65% x3, 70% x3, 75% x3, 80% x3, 85% x3 – Emphasis is on getting shoulders over bar, knees again with vertical shins, and straight extension by means of pull
2) Clear-grip deadlift (CDL): 50% x5, 60% x3, 70% x2, 75% x1, 80% x1, 85% AMRAP (proportion of estimated 1RM of high quality CDL)
3) Rack jerk with 2 pauses: 70-80% x2x6 units – Discovering ceiling with eyes and agressively throwing head again
1) Again squat with pause: 70% x2x6 units – First rep in every set has 3-5 second pause within the backside
2) Snatch stability + OHS: 65% x3+1, 70% x3+1, 75% x3+1, 80% x2+1, 85% x(2+1)x2sets 70% x1+AMRAP – Bar ought to preserve a line over the bottom of assist throughout every rep. Deal with management moderately than pace
3) Snatch with 3-second lift-off: 65% x5, 70% x5, 75% x5, 80% x5, 85% x5 – Emphasizing leg drive and managed bar path through the preliminary pull to above the knee
4) Clear with 3-second lift-off + jerk with 3-second pause in break up: 65% x3, 70% x3, 75% x3, 80% x3, 85% x3 – Emphasizing leg drive and managed bar path through the preliminary pull to above the knee whereas demonstrating stability and management with pause in break up